The Importance of Writing a Eulogy
Being a key component of the funeral service, the eulogy is a written farewell tribute speech that is a representation of who the deceased was as an individual and how they lived their life. When you have the task of writing a eulogy you go through the difficulty and the responsibility of making it a speech that will truly honor your loved one and show a true reflection of how they impacted not only you but everyone in the room.
At times, this is not an easy speech to write. There are so many different and wonderful aspects of the deceased’s life that you will want to include, talk about and share with your family and friends. It is important to remember that while writing a eulogy, less is more. Focus on speaking from the heart and genuinely acknowledging their life.
Within the content of the eulogy you will talk about the following topics:
- History: This is where you will cover where they were born, their childhood life and other topics that cover who they were as a person
- Career: Their profession and the journey to get there
- Achievements: Awards or personal achievements they fulfilled throughout their life
- Stories: Use specific examples and detailed stories while telling stories.
- Memories: Talk about any fond memories you have with this person, a time that you will never forget, words of advice they told you, or an impact they had on your life or someone in the audiences
- Milestones: Talk about their loved ones, including spouse, children, parents, and friends. Graduation or any promotions that fit into your speech
Detailed stories tend to bring smiles to people’s faces and add an element of personality and love to your speech. Take everyone into consideration during the writing stages and the actual time you will be saying your speech. Remember that this will be an emotional time to get through not only for you but for the family and friends listening, including them in your stories and involving the audience tends to lighten things up a little and bring unity to the group of you there to honor and pay your respects to your loved one. If you have any questions or would like to talk to our professionals at, Wagg Funeral Home, you can contact us here.