How to Tell Someone a Loved One Has Died
In case a family member passes away, it may become your responsibility to inform the rest of your family and close friends about the death. This can be quite a challenging aspect of the process because you need to deal with people of different personalities and mentalities.
Things to Keep in Mind
You can't just break the news to them in a casual manner and need to be sensitive to their feelings while you are doing so. There are certain things you need to keep in view when you are telling someone that a loved one has died:
- While it may not always be possible to inform every single family member about the death in person, you should make a point to meet people face to face and tell them about the death.
- In case of family members that are far away, you would have to break the news to them over a phone call or any other digital media like Skype.
- When you are making phone calls, speak with the most vulnerable members of your family first. It can be very stressful to inform them about the death, so be sensitive while dealing with them.
- When you are informing someone in person, make sure that you are doing so in the right kind of environment. Look for a quiet place so that you can give them the news about the death. This kind of setting allows them to express their feelings without feeling embarrassed or conscious about having people around them.
- When you are talking to people about the death, be very clear and give the information directly rather than use any euphemisms.
If you want to know more about our funeral services, feel free to contact us at Wagg Funeral Home today and we’ll be happy to help with all your specific needs.